Three Steps is committed to providing an outcomes based therapeutic residential service to children, young people and their families. We will achieve this through comprehensive multi-disciplinary assessment, and needs based individual plans, within an integrated therapeutic environment, i.e "enhancing the unique potential of all those in our care".
We believe that everyone has the ability to change and to flourish. We see problems as opportunities to learn, develop and grow. All young people and their families have strengths and skills that can be nurtured and we will work to support these strengths.
About Three Steps and our Therapeutic Model
Three Steps is a national resource based in Meath, Dublin and the surrounding area. The Founder and Owner of Three Steps is Dr. Cathal McAuliffe.
Specifically, Three Steps provides:
- A medium to long term residential service for children with intellectual disabilities who may also have complex needs and be experiencing emotional, behavioural and family problems.
- A medium to long term residential service for children and adolescents who are in the care of the state and may be experiencing emotional, behavioural and family problems.
- A long term residential service for Adults with Intellectual Disability who are attending a Day Service, where their independent living skills, autonomy and rights are promoted.
- Most of the young people placed with Three Steps will have a complex combination of emotional, behavioural, family and mental health needs. All of which prevents them from living at home, foster care or in less specialized residential settings.
Three Steps strives to build a secure future for those we care for and work with. We are establishing a centre of excellence in assessment and intervention – enabling positive and identifiable change, for the children, young people, adults and families who use our service. Our assessments include a neuropsychological assessment where it would be helpful.
All of our homes employ fully qualified Social Care Staff and provide multidisciplinary assessment and intervention. This is supported by our highly skilled and experienced Therapeutic Support Consultants and Therapists.
This consists of:
- Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychotherapists
- Occupational Therapist
- Consultant Psychiatrist
- Principal Clinical Psychologist
- Music Therapist
- Play Therapist
Individual Therapeutic Plans
The therapeutic model is multi-disciplinary, specifically being trauma, attachment and neurobiology informed. Each child, young person or adult will have an assessment of need, which will lead to an individual therapeutic plan:
- This will be delivered through high quality therapeutic care and 1-1 therapy where this is helpful.
- Risk Assessment and Risk Management underpin the development and implementation of each plan.
- Plans and progress are regularly reviewed and updated.
- Outcomes are monitored closely.
- The involvement of the child, young person or adult, their social workers, GAL's and family is a vital part of this.